Can you honestly beat a cropped jumper? I actually don’t think so, this type of jumper just seems to go with everything! This grey cropped jumper from Shein is so cute (oh and only £16.00!!) and I love it worn with the white wide leg trousers, which are a complete wardrobe staple going into spring. Oh and the tiny sunglasses trend, I thought I couldn’t be swayed, but I really am, I adore these tiny little sunglasses so much, so 90’s.
I am actually really excited to talk to you about this and actually it goes hand in hand with my last post my style rut and what I intend to do about it. At the start over every season I love to have a massive clear out, put away the mega wintery items and go back through my spring items, what do I still love and what will I wear again.
I spoke in my last post about how I am having a slight crisis in the fact that I have been eating too many creams eggs and am struggling to squeeze into some of my fav items, I will show you how to deal with that below.
So first of all I’m going to take ALL of my clothes (I know this is scary, and I by my means said this is a small task) and dump them into big piles of jeans, trousers, skirts, dresses, coats, jackets, shorts, t-shirts, summer tops, shirts & blouses, going out clothes. Then go for the biggest pile first (as clearly I have too many of these types of items) then separate into ‘still love and fits well’, ‘too tight but love’, ‘sell’, ‘throw away’, ‘out of season’, ‘not sure’. Just to note that while doing this the only pile that still needs to be separated out into the different types of clothing is the still love and fits well, the reason for this is when you have got to the end of this process, you will be able to see any items missing from your wardrobe. Everything else can be put into their separate piles together, so ‘too tight but love’ in one pile, ‘sell’ in another, ‘throw away’ in another, ‘out of season’ in another, ‘not sure’ in another.
The next thing to do is take your ‘too tight but love’ pile and hang it up in plain site, I want to be reminded everyday, that if I just resisted that chocolate bar I’d be wearing my fave white jeans again.
Next the ‘not sure’ pile, why are you not sure? It is past it’s best, if so throw it away, but if it is a previously loved and well-worn item then note it down you, as you will need to add this to the to buy list that we will create later. Is it uncomfortable when you wear it? Not because it’s too small, but because it’s always been that way? If so, sell it, have you never worn it because it doesn’t suit you and doesn’t go with anything in your wardrobe? Then sell it (you catch my drift).
Now to put your ‘out of season’ items in a box out of the way, so they are not cluttering up your wardrobe. Then put away your ‘sell’ clothes for another day and the ‘throw away’ clothes go off to the bin, now we can see the wood for the trees.
Finally we need to look at your ‘still love and fits’ well pile, you know the list you started earlier with the items that are passed their best that you need to replace, add to that list and and work out the holes in your current wardrobe, do you need more tops because you have lots of trousers and nothing to go with them? Do you need more basic items to tie your wardrobe together, white tees, thin layering jumpers, a good pair of black trousers, a white shirt? Stick to this list over the next couple of months and see if you wardrobe is way more flexible, you get loads more use out of items and you shop more wisely. Also having your slightly too small clothes on display will remind you that you don’t need to spend more money on new things, just be good and try to fit into your old beloved items!
So to recap, here’s what to do;
- Dump all clothes into a big pile
- Sort into types – jeans, trousers, skirts, dresses, coats, jackets, shorts, t-shirts, summer tops, shirts & blouses, going out clothes
- Start with your biggest pile and sort into ‘still love and fits well’, ‘too tight but love’, ‘sell’, ‘throw away’, ‘out of season’, ‘not sure’
- Keep your types (skirts, dresses, trousers etc) separate in the ‘still love fits well’ pile
- Hang up in plain sight your ‘too small but love’ pile
- Go through your ‘not sure’ pile and separate out
- Anything that is past its best but you’ve worn loads, write down on your to buy list
- Package away the ‘out of season’ items
- Tidy up and put away you’re to ‘sell’ items
- Go through your ‘still love and fits well’ piles and workout what you are missing, add to your to buy list
Happy organising babes.
Lets talk about the outfit first babes, flares, yes flares, thank god they are back in fashion because I adore them, these rust coloured beauts are actually part of a two piece set from my new love Nasty Gal, I love that they are ribbed, and are so flattering on. Then to the cropped trench, from Shein, I loveeeee this!! We are seeing the classic trench all over the high-street at the minute, however the style is much more deconstructed, with cropped versions, to waterfall versions, I love it!! Also from Shein this beaut polka dot wrap around top which may I say is only £10!!! I love anything polka dot at the minute.
I know I have written about this before, and man I’m back there, that deep dark hole that is the style rut. I’ve said before that I know why this happens, and it 100% comes down to how I am feeling about myself and more importantly my body.
The jeans I absolutely adored a couple of months ago, that are now too uncomfortable to wear for more than 30 minutes are certainly part of this problem. Also many of my style icons on Instagram are quite substantially thinner than me, and honestly I go to buy something that looks amazing on them and it upsets me when I look like a potato in the same item of clothing.
But finally I feel like I now know what to do when these feelings strike, for the first time ever. Which means I can tackle this head on! Below are my two ways of coping when I start to feel the rut coming on;
- Learn to love myself again, start putting good things into my body that will make me feel good about myself, not 4 cream eggs and a sausage cob. This means by the time it starts to get warmer I can rediscover my beaut white cropped jeans that are just that little bit too tight.
- Be my own style icon, I’ve always found myself idealising other fashion bloggers, or trendsetter’s way too much for my own good. Often going out and buying the exact same outfits as they are wearing! I intend to take inspiration from them, but that’s it! I have my own unique sense of style and it is important to always remember that. I also look different to the girls I am idealising and what looks amazing on them, may not look amazing on me! However, that’s not to say that something wouldn’t look even better on me!
From this moment on, this is what I am going to do, and I promise that I will check in with you in a couple of months with my progress update.
Ermmmm can we talk about this teddy coat of dreams please, this beaut is from Nasty Gal and it is genuinely the best thing I own at the minute. I actually chose this in a large which was such a good call, because I absolutely afore the way it looks oversized, plus babes its £50…and its crazy warm, honestly the best thing I own!! I am so happy that we are seeing checks move from winter into spring/summer this year. Although the winter style checks will change, we’ll be seeing loads more colour, which I am so excited about. These beaut trousers from Romwe are my transitional piece of choice, plus they are only £16, mad right? Then the ugly, ugly Dad trainers the Fila Disruptors, that I have not had off my feet since I bought them, they are so ugly but so amazing at the same time! I need them in all colours!! Coat & trousers are linked in the text above, and everything linked is also linked at the bottom of the post, for any of you gals who need to do a little shop :).
So I wanted to talk to you guys about my favourite designer fashion houses, and explain to you why I love them so much, although I don’t buy too much clothing from high end designers (we all have to buy food and live right) I love to take inspiration from their work, in terms of styling and finding similar pieces on the high street;
Celine, Celine, Celine always my number one, honestly if I had all the money in the world, this would be the one and only place I would shop. I adore the androgynous suits, the oversized midi dresses and the pastels we are seeing this season. Give me a white Celine oversized suit any day and I would be a very happy girl!
- Isabel Marant
From the perfect leather skinnies to the most amazing double breasted checked blazer. Isabel Marant for me gives off a kind of carefree boho style, and don’t get me started on the knits. I find I spend a lot of my time looking for dupes on the high street. Apparently Isabel herself tries on her entire collection before it leaves the studio. I mean if it was your collection, and it was this good, you really would do the same.
- Jil Sander
Tailoring at its absolute best (and you guys know I love a good bit of tailoring) sleek, clean lines and mega figures flattering styles. I am in love with the camel trousers and the oversized white shirts. Plus you know that the fabric is so luxe, it will all feel so good on.
Hope you’ve enjoyed this post babes and thank you for reading.
First my loves lets introduce you to the most cute lace up top ever! This beaut is from Shein and as always is mega affordable, at only £15 (insane I know). Its such a flattering shape too, it really gives you that hour glasses figure. It is a shame babes that you can’t see these trousers properly in these pictures (bring back summer & good lighting), if you could, you’d know they were the most amazing plum coloured satin combats!! I mean come on satin…combats!!
So I wanted you guys to get to know me a little more, so I thought I’d do a blog post on 10 things you don’t know about me. I mean some of you have known me for years, so you will know these things, and they will probably make you laugh!
1. I have absolutely no sense of direction, to the point where can happily come out of a shop and walk for a good 10 minutes, before I realise I’ve gone in the wrong direction. I also use sat nav to get around everywhere, I mean everywhere. I also get lost in peoples houses a lot…
2. I am obsessed with chocolate, if you leave chocolate near me, I will eat it in 2 seconds, and no I won’t feel bad!!
3. I have a 15 year old sister, which may not seem anything crazy, but she is my full sister and there is 15 years between us. Plus she’s most perfect little thing you ever did see, and I love her to bits.
4. As you can see above I have a Yorkshire terrier dog called Ralph, and I let him lick me on my face, mouth, nose, meh I don’t even care, I literally love him that much!
5. I have a massive thing for crop tops, which is not weather appropriate in the UK at the minute at all. For a night out give me a pair of trousers and a crop top, over a little slinky dress any day.
6. I have the most perfect fiancee (they all say that) but honestly he is a dream, he shops with me for hours, takes all my pictures for my blog, puts up with me moaning about looking fat. He is an absolute gem and I am so lucky to be with him.
7. Both my fiancee and I work in digital, so we genuinely come home and have conversions about it, only a nightly basis….highly sad.
8. I have a lisp! Not a surprise if you have ever heard me talk, but its there and its prominent. I got very badly teased for it when I was at school, but now I realise like any bullying, that was their anxieties and weaknesses. My lisp is part of me, and I am a confident person so will always speak freely, and it never ever makes me feel self-conscious. If someone picks up on it to make fun of me (not a regular occurrence actually) I will make sure they know how childish that is, and that its only a bad reflection on them.
9. I wanted to work and make money since being a little girl, so I would make things out of sticks in the garden (like stick dolls, stick nests, the possibilities were endless), and sell them for real money to unsuspecting family members. Whether they wanted them or not, lol!
10. I am terrible at texting people back, like completely and utterly terrible, my lovely amazing friends have learnt to deal with it over the years. Its that whole I’ll do it later thing…sorry guys, you know I love you <3.
First of all my loves can I say that I am honestly so sick of winter, I long for the weather to be just that little bit warmer, where we can wear jackets rather than coats, and don’t have to be completely bundled up with scarfs and gloves. Until that day we have roll necks, which are an absolute staple in my wardrobe at the minute. This nude roll neck jumper from Shein is honestly so perfect, you guys may have realised that I love a ribbed jumper, and what I love about this version is it is thicker than any of my other jumpers, but still has that fitted silhouette that I love, also babes its only £18!! Next this beaut of a checked coat from Missy Empire, not going to lie, I’m completely obsessed with it! I love how oversized it is and the checked print is just perfect. Then finally the most perfect wide leg jeans from H&M, that look great with pretty much everything I own!
I guess I just wanted to talk to you babes about how blogging has improved my wardrobe, well thats a easy answer you say! You take more time to think about it?! And yes you are right, but its way more than that, for me being a blogger is a form of self expression, and something that gives me a platform to showcase my personal style and also my personality. As we all know bloggers today are their own brands, promoting their style and view on the world. I have spoken to you guys so many times about how I believe it is so important to have the most positive attitude to life, to your work and in terms of blogging to yourself and your body.
The great thing about taking the time to blog, is the time you get to research, whether that is fashion on the catwalks, magazines or taking inspiration from other bloggers. The latter is my absolute fav, blogging means that anybody from anywhere in the world, with any job and any body type can put their personal style out there. Blogging makes fashion more real, more relatable for every body type. So how does being a blogger improve my wardrobe? From taking more time to research the current trends and styles, to taking the time to engage with gorgeous REAL bloggers I can relate to, and take style tips from. This means I make far more informed decisions when shopping, which I think means I am more stylish people because of that :).
First of all babes, let’s talk about my complete obsession with layering. I mean it’s a good job that I am obsessed because it is absolutely freezing in the UK at the minute, and probably the only way I am able to survive. Let’s also talk about this gorgeous bargain of a midi skirt from Shein, I love how tight the pleats are and how full the skirt is. Plus, it’s an absolute steal at only £18.00!! I think for me this navy long coat, this denim jacket and these black leather boots are going to be items that are in my closet for a long time, staples that I will never get tired of.
Double breasted in a beige/nude colour, slightly loose, man I want one so bad. This is the thing though, it’s the sort of thing that I dream of, but never find, unless its Celine, then I can’t afford it! One day I aim to have my own clothing line, and these wonderful design will no longer be a figment of my imagination!
Cowboy boots you say?? Not on your nelly, but trust me babes, it’s not full on cowboy, it’s a hint towards this this full-on style, with the chunky almost Cuban heels, the square toe and the embroidery details. I have my eye on the most perfect white pair from Mango
I have the most perfect version from COS, it’s a simple black leather version and it honestly does look so good over fitted blazers or coats. Or on the waist of your trousers with an oversized coat over the top. One tip I would say, I have seen so many garish versions out there, that it really is better to go for a simpler version that will stand the test of time in your wardrobe
I genuinely wasn’t sure about this trend when I saw it on the catwalk! Tiny sunglasses that barely cover your eyes, but now I love the cool 90’s vibe that it gives to any outfit. Also not going to lie they look cool perched on the end of your nose for a selfie (I know you’ve done it babes). There are also so many cool style around from the likes of Pretty Little Thing, ASOS and the star of the show Ebay.
Right now I am so obsessed with nudes, whether that is in the form of a t-shirt/jumper or trousers, in fact if you guys follow me on Instagram you’ll see my perfect nude flared trousers from Mango. When I first saw this draped nude top from Romwe I loved it, and knew instantly that I wanted to pair it with a pair of trousers with a similar tone. It is also quite a dressy outfit, so I dressed everything down with pair good old Stan Smith trainers & a fluffy white jacket from Topshop.
So I just wanted to let you know how and where I get my weekly (often daily) dose of fashion inspiration. Of course there is no surprise that my absolute favourite place to find inspo is Instagram. I have go to accounts that I will check usually on a daily basis such as @deborarosa who really is my number one style icon, @pepamack giving me all of the minimalist inspo I need & @wethepeoplestyle who is never predictable in her style and I absolutely adore that.
I travel down to London on the train quite a bit for work, and I love to buy a Vogue magazine (and this is getting really old school now) and a pen and mark all of the bits in the magazine that really make me excited. What I love about this is it can be anything, hair styles, make-up, and when you really feel like you have no idea what to wear it’s great to revisit the magazines.
Ok so I know I am mad wearing all white, especially being the most clumsy person in the world (I managed to spill half a can of coke down my sleeve the other day, down my sleeve!!!) but I just love this combo so much & I think it’s so chic for winter. This white jumper from Romwe is so comfy and warm, it’s a really thick knit, which is so perfect for the cold winter we are having in the UK. And these white trousers from All Black Everything, which are honestly the most comfy flattering white trousers ever. I just want to share a secret with you babes, I always size up when it comes to coats. This coat from ASOS is a size 12 and a tall because I love the longer length and long sleeves.
So babes I just wanted to talk to you guys about some items that for my body shape I just wouldn’t wear. That’s not to say that for you they wouldn’t look amazing. Must first items is white skinny jeans, they honestly look so bad on me, I love a pair of thick mom style or wide leg jeans, but skinny jeans in white are a no no for me, I always find that these stye of jeans are always pretty see through too. Short body-con skirts, I have larger legs and calves and for me a short body-co skirt is really not flattering on my legs and makes them look so much bigger.
Smock dresses, now I have dabbled in smock dresses before and sometimes it works, sometimes it really doesn’t. As I am an hourglasses shape it is way more flattering for me to wear something that really nips me in at the waist, instead of hangs over my body. Shoes with ankle straps, again this is something I very occasionally wear, and usually I do regret it when I do it, but as my legs are on the bigger side, and ankle straps are known to shorten the look of your legs.
Lets talk about this maxi coat of dreams from Shein, I am so into nudes at the minute and this coat is the perfect mix of pinky nude and beige nude, its also that very long maxi length that I really love, and this beaut is only £25!! I’ve been after a pair of white jeans for months now, and I’ve been unable to find any that I actually like, this pair from Mango are perfect and I love the raw hems on both the legs and waist, it also comes with a cute little tie belt. Also lets appreciate the little black heart, this my loves is the most perfect t-shirt I own, from Comme Des Garcon Play (which I have only just discovered is a Japanese brand) is my most favourite basic piece.
So in todays post I just wanted give you a few nuggets of info, many you guys can to get to know me a little more, so 4 things you probably don’t know about me; 1. I am a black belt at kickboxing – so I am not going to lie its a while since I have kick-boxed, however I’d love to get back into it, its such a great activity to really test you, and take you to that next level of fitness, the only problem is that I loved my old club so much that I really have struggled to find one that I love just as much. 2. In my ‘real’ job I am a digital project manager – I absolutely love my job and am so lucky and grateful to be able to do what I do, and work with such a great team and client. I am mega organised, I know I wouldn’t be able to manage my blog & work a full time job, so its great that my skills at work can be utilised in my personal life.
3. I have an English Literature degree – when I actually get the time to do it, reading is one of my absolute favourite past times, and to be able to study some of my favourite works in my degree was amazing. I actually wrote my dissertation on Charles Dickens and the hierarchy of money in three of his novels. 4. I get married next year – for my babes that follow me on Instagram this may not be so much of a surprise, however its something that I could not be more excited about, so many fun things to plan, the dress, the food! Then of course marrying the man of my dreams.